1. What are TEFL/TESL/TESOL?

2. Do the hours matter; eg: 60hour TESL vs. 150hour TEFL?

3. Should I do an online or in-class course?

4. Should I secure a job before coming to Vietnam/Cambodia?

5. What visa do I need for Vietnam?

6. Do I need a work permit to teach in Vietnam?


  • TEFL - Teaching English as a Foreign Language; these programs in countries where English is not the primary spoken language

  • TESL - Teaching English as a Second Language; these are programs in English speaking countries for students whose first language is not English

  • TESOL - Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages; this is a general term for the field of teaching that includes both TEFL and TESL

For example, your qualification will be: a TESOL IV certificate in TEFL.


Do the hours matter?

​The amount of hours on your TEFL certificate is not as important as it may seem. Potential employers do not seem to split hairs about this. What is important is how confident you feel after completing your TEFL course.


Should I do an online  or an in-class course?

​Online courses are cheaper and offer flexibility as you can complete them in your own time. Many teachers have successfully found work with an online qualification. 

The main advantage of an in-class qualification is that it helps you to feel more confident to start teaching. Observation sessions, teaching practice and time spent in class with an experienced teacher give you the skills to be a good teacher. 


Should I secure a job before moving abroad?

Securing a job before leaving can give you peace of mind, but it's easier said than done. One option would be to ​go through our training program as we guarantee you a job placement after completion.

However, it's very common for teachers to appproach schools once in Vietnam, hand in a CV and ask for a job. They may ask you to do a demo class on the spot and offer you the job the same day. 


What visa do I need for Vietnam?

You should apply for a 3 month multiple entry visa. Here's how it works:


1. Apply online for a 3 month multiple entry visa. There are many companies that offer this service, here's a good one

2. It will cost around $25 and you pay online

3. After a few days they will send you a copy of your VISA LETTER. This is not a visa. You will use this letter to get your visa on arrival at the airport in Vietnam

4. Once you arrive at the airport, find the visa on arrival queue, hand in your passport and visa letter. They will paste your visa into your passport and you're away!

Do I need a work permit to work in Vietnam?

Yes you do, but don't worry about it yet. Once you are employed by a school or language centre they should help you by applying for the permit on your behalf.